Saturday, January 3, 2015

Review: The Lion King



#139 - The Lion King

The Lion King is a tale of discovering who you truly are. Simba loses his father at a very young age, and he is banished to live alone in the desert. While on the verge of death, he encounters Timon and Pumbaa: a meerkat and a boar that befriend little Simba. Years later, Simba's friend, Nala, finds him while searching for food. She tells him that his uncle, Scar, has taken over the Pridelands, and there is no more food or water. Simba makes his triumphant return and defeats Scar - discovering that he wasn't the one that caused his father's death, Scar deliberately killed Mufasa. Simba takes his rightful place as King, and the Pridelands are returned to their original splendor.

This is one of the best Disney movies ever made. It's not only visually stunning, but the story is moving, and the songs are catchy and uplifting. Sure they steal the basic story line from Shakespeare's Hamlet, but Disney puts its own twist on it that makes it fresh and new. You have one of the greatest heroes: Simba, arguably the best sidekicks: Timon and Pumbaa, and one of the most wicked villains: Scar. You honestly can't go wrong with this film. The research that went into the movements of the animals and the look/feel of the settings was impeccable. It's not hard to see why this is still one of the most beloved Disney films.

The writing is genius. Just when it starts to seem like it's going to drag, they introduce the comic relief.


And just when it seems like it's going to head down the boring path again, they introduce the crazy monkey, and Simba finds his true purpose.


I just can't give high enough praise to The Lion King. I mean, look at Scar...he's just too fabulous for words.



Jeremy Irons (the voice of Scar) sings what is, quite possibly, the best Disney villain song...and top 10 Disney song in general..."Be Prepared".

I remember when this movie first released. I was 10 years old, and in love with Jonathan Taylor Thomas (the voice of young Simba). That is totally what sold me on going to see this in theatres. Now that I'm older, I am obsessed with Matthew Broderick and Nathan Lane (the voices of Adult Simba and Timon respectively), so that's what hooks me to the songs and the story. The one thing I don't understand is why they didn't have Matthew Broderick sing the Adult Simba songs? Broderick is a big Broadway star now...he has an amazing voice. Oh well, I get my fill of phenomenal talent by listening to Nathan Lane. 

Overall, you can't get much better than Lion King. Not gonna lie - it's not my favorite, but it is definitely one of my top 5. I get wrapped up in the whole Disney princess thing, so I apologize for not giving this movie a higher ranking. *It's my husband's #1 though!


I give The Lion King 5 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment